Allied Radio Shack Coin

n9lig
Hello,
I have 2 of the Allied Radio Shack commemorative coins featured on this web site. Does anyone have any more info about them. They sound like they may be made of silver. One looks silver and the other has a gold tone to it.

These are the ones that have C.D. Tandy on the front.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

I see them on eBay quite often.  Do a search for "Radio Shack Token".  As of right now, there are about 5 listing for the silver tokens.  If you check previous auctions, you will see a couple fo the gold ones.  I doubt they're made of any precious metal since they one sell for $1 - $5.

Other than this, I don't have any other info. at this time.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

n9lig
I took a look at the ones on ebay but those are not like mine. Those are the 1977 $1.00 token. Mine have C.D. Tandy on the front and say 1000th Allied Radio Shack Store on the back.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

DBLTRBL
I HAVE THE SAME TOKEN DATED JULY 1, 1971 AND HAVE HAD NO LUCK GETTING ANY INFO ON IT

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

This token was specially minted in bronze for Allied Radio Shack by the Franklin Mint to celebrate their 1000th store opening on July 8, 1971.

In addition, over 10,000 customers also won replicas in a drawing in July 1971. Charles Tandy prominently shown on the front.

Is your token one of the originally-minted BRONZE coins, or one of the 10,000 replicas?  My guess is that the replicas were not made of bronze.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

DBLTRBL
MY TOKEN IS NOT BRONZE. I WAS TOLD THAT IT ENTITLED TOU TO A DISCOUNT ON EVERY RADIO SHACK PURCHASE MADE IN THE FUTURE. I HAVE CONTACTED RADIO SHACK/TANDY AND THEY ARE OBLIVIOUS AND COULD NOT HELP. OTHER THAN HAVING THAN HAVING THE COIN WHY WOULD YOU ENTER A CONTEST TO WIN IT ?

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

I don't think that the bronze colored coin/token entitled you to a discount.  It was only a "commemorative" token, honoring Radio Shack's 1000th store.

The silver/aluminum colored "Citizen's Band Bonus Dollar" token entitled you to $1 off any Radio Shack item.  But I'm sure that promotion has since been discountinued, 30+ years later.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Same Search
I have the coin also.
Each store awarded one coin.
The coin entitled the owner to a 10% discount.
I was a child and the coin was worth more than the cents I would save on a purchase, so I kept the coin.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Wayne
I also got the coin minted July 1st 1971. I won it as a kid. I do not know of its value? I just called radio shack and gave them my email. oh well.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

UserX
Actually, the "bronze" 1000th store token apparently did come with documentation that explains everything.  One is a small card that reads "This coin good for continuing 10% discount through December 31, 1971.  Limited Edition"  The other is a slip of paper that gives a fuller story:  "It is always a pleasant experience to give someone something genuinely worthwhile and valuable.  As we mentioned in our drawing announcements, your 1000th Store Commemorative Discount Coin was specially minted for us by The Franklin Mint and is a genuine collector's item.  Of course, it has a tremendous immediate cash value.  It's good for 10% off on every dollar you spend at any of our 1000 stores between now and the end of 1971.  Its value can add up to hundreds of dollars, particularly since Christmas is coming."   The coin, itself, is dated July 1, 1971, which I'm sure is the date of the 1000th store celebration.  Customers may have received their tokens perhaps in the September / October timeframe and the discount would have been effective for some three months or so.  Given that the promotion expired over 38 years ago, it's no surprise that the current management at "RadioShack" or "The Shack" would even know about the "Allied Radio Shack" days, never mind this old commemorative token.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Thanks for the update.  This was more information about the token that I ever seen.  Do you by chance have the actual documentation pieces?  I would love to get a scanned copy to add to this site.

~Mike

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Sam from Selma
I won one of these Bronze coins in the original contest. My coin ic dated July 1, 1971.  I had this coin stored in my safe for years.  About 20 years ago I found it again.  After I found this coin I needed an item from Radio Shack.  I took this coin with me.  I did not have the original paper work any longer :-( but I did remember something about 10%.  I thought it was for life.  Each time I have carried this coin to a Radio Shack for a purchase, the WOW factor has always gotten me a 10% discount.  If you have one of the original Bronze coins try it.  Most owners and clerks I have had experiences with will accept the showing of the coin for a 10% discount.  I value this coin for there were only 1000 of them made.  To me this is a family heirloom and will be passed to my Geek family.  Good Luck with your's.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

dgvoyles
I also have a bronze coin from July 1, 1971. Anyone have any idea of it's value?

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

The Radio Shack tokins are only selling for about $5 on eBay.  You can check it out for yourself by doing a search for "Radio Shack Token".  The bronze tokens are more rare than the aluminum tokens - but there isn't a big difference in selling price.  Some versions of the tokens don't have an expiration date so, for what it's worth, their value is a least $1 at your local RadioShack store (if they'll honor them) !

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

John E. Petty
Just to set the record straight, there were 10,000 coins minted, as ten were given away via random drawing at each of the 1,000 stores. It's a very cool piece, and a great collectible.

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

john brown
I just got one of these coins it still is in what I believe is the original container with a piece of paper saying 10% discount through December 31 1971.
Lex

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Lex
Do you know any more about this coin than what is in this forum? History, value, etc.?

RE: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Sam from Selma
I do not know if this coin has any REAL value, but in the times I have carried it to a Radio Shack and showed the coin, I have received a 10% discount every time.  This will soon be a thing of the past.

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:35:06 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Do you know any more about this coin than what is in this forum? History, value, etc.?

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Allied-Radio-Shack-Coin-tp2363925p7573158.html
To unsubscribe from Allied Radio Shack Coin, click here.
NAML

Re: Allied Radio Shack Coin

Pat Bost
I have one after winning it at a NJ radio shack in 1971.  It is bronze colored and came in a clear plastic folder with a small card reading "This coin good for continuing 10% discount through December 31, 1971, Limited Edition"  I was 13 at the time and could not make much use of the discount!