Auto-Magic

alfa88
My 1st. post. I am hoping somebody has a schematic for any tuner that featured Auto-Magic. I have a TM-1000 but the capacitive touch circuit on the tuning knob is not switching the meter lamps.  The TM-1000 has only 1 IC, a FM demodulator. I'm going to replace all  the incandescents with with LEDs .

Re: Auto-Magic

Simon_Mackay
Auto-Magic may be a marketing name that Tandy / Radio Shack uses for the AFC functionality, especially the switchable AFC functionality.

At least you are doing a good job with replacing the TM-1000's incandescent lighting with LEDs as part of fixing it up. As well, I have used one of these tuners before and the tuning meter light stays the same, but the dial pointer serves as the stereo indicator light by going red when the station is broadcasting in stereo.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

Re: Auto-Magic

alfa88
Hey Simon,
Thanks for the post. I did manage to get a schematics from Sams Photofacts via a library. The strange thing was that the auto-magic (AFC) functioned better with the higher load of an incandescent bulb.
I etched a replacement board for the dial lighting to accommodate several wide angle white LEDs.
Gary

Please note: message attached

From: "Simon_Mackay [via The RadioShack Forum]" <[hidden email]>
To: alfa88 <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Auto-Magic
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 19:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

Virgin Mobile&#174 Unlimited
Get Unlimited Data & Messaging On A Prepaid Plan w/Virgin Mobile Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/51c34b53e32bd4b53478bst02vuc
Auto-Magic may be a marketing name that Tandy / Radio Shack uses for the AFC functionality, especially the switchable AFC functionality.

At least you are doing a good job with replacing the TM-1000's incandescent lighting with LEDs as part of fixing it up. As well, I have used one of these tuners before and the tuning meter light stays the same, but the dial pointer serves as the stereo indicator light by going red when the station is broadcasting in stereo.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Auto-Magic-tp7107097p7572757.html
To unsubscribe from Auto-Magic, click here.
NAML

Re: Auto-Magic

alfa88
Hey Simon,
Thanks for the post. I did manage to get a schematic from Sams Photofacts via a library. The strange thing was that the auto-magic (AFC) functioned better with the higher load of an incandescent bulb.
I etched a replacement board for the dial lighting to accommodate several wide angle white LEDs.

Re: Auto-Magic

chas9496
Hey. I'm a "Newbe" here and was wondering before I open up my STA-82 for possible cap replacement what type of bulbs do these models use ? My schematic states X-4804 and I can't cross reference anything online for these. Most I've replaced on other brands were, soldered type, fuse or screw-in. Just asking and thanks for listening.

Re: Auto-Magic

alfa88
Hello Chas,
Try looking for a 9 to 12V axial lead bulb. Make note of your length. I replaced mine with LEDs but the circuit actually works better with the higher current draw of light bulbs. Go figure.

From: "chas9496 [via The RadioShack Forum]" <[hidden email]>
To: alfa88 <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:11:17 -0700 (MST)

What's your flood risk?
Knowing your flood risk and being prepared can help keep your family safe and reduce potential damages.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5632fb7da2a967b7d4cfdst01vuc

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Auto-Magic-tp7107097p7573180.html