Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

TRC-209
Gang,

I've switched my interest from C.B. walkie talkies to ham radio, and I was just wondering if anyone else likes to collect the old Radio Shack walkie talkies. That's so I can get an idea of how much time I should budget for packing them up if I offer them.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Coast Steve
Hi Sean,

I've been thinking of getting one or two of those TRC 209 40 channel walkie talkies.
Not sure what you have but if you have something that may interest me please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

(new to the club)

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

TRC-209
Steve,

I actually want to save my own TRC-209s for camping. They don't work in the city I live in because the houses are mostly sitting on earth high above the level of the sidewalk. Ebay item 111166275732 is three walkie talkies but you can get just one TRC-209 for a lot less. For example item 291009834493. Just remember, if you aren't using rechargable batteries that put out 1.2 volts per cell, you need two "dummy batteries" and eight 1.5 volt alkaline ones to power the rig without blowing the final amplifier. I think the high SWR when you aren't using a ground plane antenna causes that. If you plug it into the car, it puts out more power becasue you aare using a better antenna.

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:57:04 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Gauging-interest-Low-power-C-B-s-tp7572482p7572844.html
To unsubscribe from Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s, click here.
NAML

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Coast Steve
Ok thanks,

Well if you change your mind I'm all over them...2 that is...or one.

We live in the country and there's lots of land and logging.

Anyone decided to sell me anything i'll do a direct e-mail deposit quick and easy for you.

Thanks gang.

PS: same goes with old RS catalogs.

Brings me back to a fun time when I was 10 in 1975 pouring through them and learning.

Steve

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

TRC-209
Steve,

"From my cold dead hands!" Seriously, get an ebay account, put in a "Followed Search" for the radio in consumer electronics, and wait a month and you'll be able to buy a pair for little money. Or maybe it will take two months because you had to pass one by because 'power bidder' decided he just had to have the walkie talkie of his high school dreams right now! But you know, you can still get crystals, and channel 14 is pretty empty where I am (not even skip shooters - they are all on channels 6, 36, or 38). You could buy ebay item 310819921622 to get you going quick for little money. Just make sure to use the dummy batteries if you are using alkaline batteries. These came with a leatherette case and plastic strap, and you could buy the hand mike for $12.95, but you radiated signal will be very low if you transmit from the hip like that. It gets much better if you hold the radio up to your mouth when transmitting. Receive is O.K. down low. Oh, and the rubber duck antenna works (as far as I could ever tell) as well as the rod antenna, you just have to find somebody who is selling one in the package or with the plastic spacer that holds the duck up straight.

I think the nostalgia is increased because I don't think too much about how much stuff cost back then. It was of higher quality, but you didn't get to have as much of it for that reason. The TRC-209 would cost, in dollars adjusted for inflation to 2012, $529.15. So, a grand for a pair of them. And now you can get a study guide for your ham radio license for $20, get the license for, IIRC, $13 (easy to study for, good for ten years), and a Chinese walkie talkie that will get you on the repeaters for tens of miles of range for $75.

The original IBM PC started at $3000 with no monitor, now you can buy a computer that will open a window on the world for $400, it's just that the customer service isn't as good.

How times have changed...well, radio is much better now: all the idiots migrated from C.B. to the web ;) Not us, of course.

Sean

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Gauging-interest-Low-power-C-B-s-tp7572482p7572849.html
To unsubscribe from Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s, click here.
NAML

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Coast Steve
Sounds like you're pretty close to yours Sean.

Can't blame you though, I'd sleep with mine too!  LOL

I guess i'll just keep the search up and take your advice on E-bay.

Steve

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Coast Steve
I found a brand new old stock TRC -209 in the box with cover/strap, etc.
All new I couldn't think straight till I actually saw it for myself.

Still no luck on the catalogs though.

Would like to buy mid 70-'s to mid 80's

Steve

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Michael
I have catalogs from61,62,63,76, 99,00, 01, and 02 if you'd like to make an offer.

RE: Gauging interest: Low power C.B.s

Coast Steve
I'd be interested in the 61,62,63 and 76 if you would sell those?
Pics are good, how's the condition?

I have a whole bunch right now but am missing  80 and 81

Steve

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 04:22:14 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I have catalogs from61,62,63,76, 99,00, 01, and 02 if you'd like to make an offer.

http://the-radioshack-forum.1496864.n2.nabble.com/Gauging-interest-Low-power-C-B-s-tp7572482p7573060.html