Great memories

Tony
I'm so glad I found this site. It's just packed with wonderful memories for me. I use to go to allied radio with my dad at twice a month. I remember the Harman Kardon Ballad tube amplifier, the Jensen flexair 8" dual cone woofers, and the Garrard 210 turntable. This is great stuff! The stereo my dad put togther all those years ago rocketed me into my audiophile sickness I have today. I can still remember looking into the grills of the giant Jensen Base Reflex enclosures he built and seeing those Flexair woofers. My life was never the same. Thanks for a great site!

Re: Great memories

poorguy
yeah I remember all of the great old electronic stores of my youth. allied / laffyette radio / heathit / etc etc. they are all good memories that have faded away for the youth of today to be able to enjoy as I have. I still have and use my heathkit test equipment that I bought as a teenager,yea I have had to make repairs on most of them as they are 40 to 50 years old but still are working great. glad I am one of thse lucky enough to live real electronics before it was all disposable as it is now.

poorguy

Re: Great memories

Kevin
I'm finding that with Heathkit, Allied Radio and Archerkit stuff....mostly the electrolytic capacitors go bad along with resisters drifting and losing their original values. Spend an evening total replacing those and buying parts like from Mouser et al. Stuff was pretty well made for the most part.

But yeah, RS didn't want you fixing their stereo components back in the day. Their better stuff was made by Foster Electronics. And the 90 day warranty didn't actually inspire a lot of confidence. I would have happily bought more from them if they had had a yrs warranty, for example. But, I bought a lot of Archerkits.

Re: Great memories

Lotje1992
Yea, glad we could enjoy this music. Still wondering the energy the music gave me when I was little dancing.

Re: Great memories

Kevin
The sad thing is that there will never again be anything like RS and Allied Radio, in the sense that there is a brick & motor store who sells components and kits of every description. Not as long as the Chinese have a death grip on everything electronic made. But in a way, we did this to ourselves by expecting cheap product and convenience above all else. I've been in analog forever and seen all the trends come & go...then digital. I don't condemn digital at all, but I find it amusing that it converts the original analog sound recorded and then has to convert back to analog for your speakers & your ears. It's an analog world of sound we live in, not digital. Maybe someday the sound will be wired digital right into your brain....I hope I'm dead before that.

Nothing like the warm, coloration of sound from a good 15ips R2R, separate stereo components and great speakers...RS had a lock on mid-fi for yrs & yrs. Very pleasant sounding stuff that served as a springboard for the enthusiast to go further, if he/she so desired. Probably some of the best 'primer' stuff out there.