Hard-to-Find Battery with Older Label Style

Hard-to-Find Battery with Older Label Style

Alan Smithee
This post was updated on .
I'm searching for one of these Enercell "type J" batteries, (23-471), alkaline 6 volts, flat rectangular black plastic, used mainly in Zenith remote controls but also in Kodak "instant" film cameras, some medical and security devices, and a few cordless phones. I'm looking for the label style from about 1992-2001 with the diagonal silver banner and silver text on a solid black background:

Enercell J Battery

I would like to get one with no evident leakage and a perfect label. Loose is OK, but in that case condition may be an issue. In package would probably be better, and package condition is unimportant.

reply here or email (remove "x"es and use standard symbols):

a.j.franzman
xATx
verizon
xDOTx
net

Thank you!

Re: Hard-to-Find Battery with Older Label Style

Alan Smithee
This post was updated on .
I got one.

Found on eBay by searching for Zenith remote controls (TV, VCR, audio, etc.) Out of hundreds of listings, there was only ONE where the seller showed this battery style and said it was included.

Had some leakage and corrosion on one terminal, and shows signs of cells leaking at the other end too -- the plastic is slightly swollen and discolored. However, the label is nearly perfect.

I will still buy another if I can find one in perfect condition with no evidence at all of cell leakage. The image above is heavily retouched; the actual battery I have doesn't look quite that good.