Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

vactube
I have  restored a STA 30 stereo receiver . Remarkable... to say the least down to the neon stereo FM indicator light ! This truly was high end sound . I have been building systems as a hobby for quite some time . This is a real nice receiver .. FM great! Amp , incredible sound  Anybody have a schematic ? I have never seen one prior to this .

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

I don't have s schematic but I'd love to see some photos of your restoration.
~ Mike

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

vactube
Here are some pictures of the STA -30 Tuner -Amplifier --The lettering on the front panel was engraved , no decals here! Also I am including a photo of a TM 8 D Tuner I just finished ..which was the tuner section of this receiver. It has that great tuning bar indicator tube..... which I was able to find . Had to replace the neon indicator and all the caps as with the Sta 30 ... with orange drop caps . 1.5 uV sensitivity ,,,sounds well .....realistic , of course ! STA 30STA 30TM - 8D Tuner

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

vactube
Here are some pictures of the STA -30 Tuner -Amplifier --The lettering on the front panel was engraved , no decals here! Also I am including a photo of a TM 8 D Tuner I just finished ..which was the tuner section of this receiver. It has that great tuning bar indicator tube..... which I was able to find . Had to replace the neon indicator and all the caps as with the Sta 30 ... with orange drop caps . 1.5 uV sensitivity ,,,sounds well .....realistic , of course ! STA 30STA 30TM - 8D TunerTM 8DSTA 30

Sorry I did not re size 2 pics . chris

Here are some pictures of the STA -30 Tuner -Amplifier --The lettering on the front panel was engraved , no decals here! Also I am including a photo of a TM 8 D Tuner I just finished ..which was the tuner section of this receiver. It has that great tuning bar indicator tube..... which I was able to find . Had to replace the neon indicator and all the caps as with the Sta 30 ... with orange drop caps . 1.5 uV sensitivity ,,,sounds well .....realistic , of course ! STA 30STA 30TM - 8D TunerTM 8D<nabble_img src="IMG_5754.jpg" border="0" class="left" alt="STA 30"

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

vactube
The STA 30 is now Loaded with RCA 12 AX7s and 4  Amperex 6GW8 tubes for the amp  . The 6Gw8's aren't made anymore and are getting scarce and expensive .. but what a great sound!!! The 6GW8 is a a triode and pentode in one tube,like a 6BM8, but higher power and of more refined development .  . I believe after doing some research on this unit , that these were made by Foster Radio in Japan ,which is still in business today -a leading speaker manufacturer. Foster has quite a history in the audio electronics business .  This receiver is totally over engineered . It is quite obvious that the goal was to make recorded music-- sound like music . The  metal case when the unit has run for awhile gets quite warm and above the 6GW8 's you can get burned ... lots of heat ! They manufactured an indention or steps in the chassis to form a "chimney" between the output transformers(where the quad 6GW8's are located) to channel cool air through the bottom and the heat out the top =a true exercise in convection -just place an egg on top !

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

dmadmc
Hi there!
I have acquired a Viscount TF-2200 receiver that is very similar to your Realistic STA 30.  I would like to get a copy of schematic for it.  I believe the Viscount built the Realistic STA 30 as an OEM.  Can you share some photos of your receiver inside so that I can compare it with mine.  Best Regards,  Jong

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

dmadmc

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

dmadmc

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

dmadmc

Re: Realistic STA 30 1966 catalog

Vactube
Your receiver is similar  to mine... Foster Radio made these for Olsen also  . I have the schematic for the Olson unit .

Viscount was a brand that was sold at Thrifty  Drug  and other retailers  .. they sold transistor radios also under that name . Foster made stuff also for Laffayette .... kinda likne your name here stuff ... non the less if you go to the Foster radio web sight ,look at the history section around 1966 .. you will see the receiver ....these  receivers were over engineered and a real value-- just budget parts... .  I replaced all the coupliing caps with orange drops .. also replaced all the resisters around the 6Gw8 tubes .Mine were all out of tolerance or intermittent in ccontact -which makes the popping sound .  WHen these are in proper value this amp gets the job done nicely and is very clear . Expect 10-15 WPC . I am running mine  with a pair of  Altec A-7's  for home theater .. make certain that you allow for plenty of ventilation .. the top around those 6Gw8's gets super hot . HH Scott used these tubes for their amps as well a few guitar amp makers . Nice full sound if you have a good matched set . Ebay has them if you need spares . The tuner was good , had to restring
 the dial and fix the power supply ... new bleeder resistors .. up grade tose for sure .. a real burn out hazard . Good luck .. and its a great find !